Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Good ideas in bad series

 There's a trend I've noticed that I think's really troublesome, and it's something that, in a more simple form, has saddened me since childhood. When something is bad, things connected to it are viewed as bad even when they didn't do anything wrong. 

A dramatic real life example; imagine I showed you a chair and then revealed to you this chair was owned and sat in almost every day by a serial killer, or by a genocidal tyrant. Maybe you're one of those "pure paragons of rationality" who will say "It's just a chair, that doesn't influence my view at all" and if so, I guess good for you. For most people, myself included, there's a sudden irrational feeling towards the object. I know the chair is fine, it has no real connection to anything the person who sat in it did, but at the very least it makes you now think of that person and as such is something you will feel more negatively towards.

This sometimes happens with fiction, and relatively speaking I think I'm alright at not doing this, and it's saddening to me how often I see it happen. When it happens with fiction what you see is that everything that happens inside a bad series, or even a controversial one is not allowed to be explored as people simply view everything associated with it as negative.

An example: There's a New 52 comic series called Red Hood and the Outlaws. The series, particularly the earier you go, was highly negatively recieved. I personally concured and didn't like it very much. Without going too much into it, it wasn't neccesarily the relatively large amount of fanservice but Starfire's early attitude of coldness and spitefulness that seemed to me so in contrast to what I enjoyed about the character. 

With that said, during this series Starfire reconciles with her sister Blackfire. This is a pretty big dramatic moment for the characters where Blackfire tearfully apologizes to Starfire for the torment she caused her and Starfire reveals that she had already forgiven her. This is, in my opinion, a really great moment. Now that's not me saying the series is good just from this one part, but it IS me saying this is an idea I think is worth exploring more but sadly a lot of people just aren't going to acknowledge because of where it's from.

I guess I'm making this blog to ask people to remember that the broken clock is right twice a day; and not to dismiss something just because of what it's connected too but isn't contributing too. A bad series can have a good idea same way a good series can make a mistake.   

No comments:

Post a Comment