Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Verse Strategy Guide

This is an experimental versus series I'm gonna try. I'm hoping to maybe eventually do all the series I think personally are great.

So what is this? It's inspired by two things primarily (And I suggest looking them both up). One of them is TierZoo, a youtube channel that analyses real life zoology and survival in the wild as though it were a video game, describing the different strategies and sometimes giving suggestions. The other is Fantasy Re-Armed, a series by youtuber Shadiversity where he looks at fantasy creatures and suggests what weapons and tactics would be most advantageous to them given their general abilities and what weapons and strategies would be good against them.

I'm thinking to myself; "Hey....why don't I do that with versus debating?" and so here we are. I'm going to go through some verses I know really well and discuss what the different tiers are like competitively compared to other verses, what their strengths are, and what their weaknesses are (and thus how to combat them) probably giving some examples of characters that would be able to do well in the verse.

Caveat 1: I am dividing the verse into tiers and giving sections for each tier, based on area of land the invader would try and have influence in. For instance the "City Scale Tier" is someone who could fight the threats that they would potentially find on average in a city in the verse. Note that the power of the characters can be greater or lesser then you might expect for a scale tier. To be a planetary-scale tier fighter in the Terminator verse might require much less then planetary power, only enough power to be a threat to everyone on the Terminator Earth while in Dragon Ball-verse for instance, where civilized planets often have characters far above planet level, much more then planetary power would be wanted.

Caveat 2: I am strictly limiting myself to not just go for stat overpowering. If a tier only generally gets up to building level and hypersonic, I'm not gonna put an Island Buster in and say they'd tank and overpower everyone in the verse, nor am I going to put an FTL character in and say they speedblitz. Anyone can be overpowered if their stats are just monumentally higher then anyone else in the verse, the point is to find characters that can utilize the unique weaknesses of a verse. I will try and use power and movement speed that are equal to or lesser then the actual characters in the verse. If a verse's stats are a bit weird, I might comment on it briefly, stating that most people in the same power or speed tier would find it easy to win due to massively greater speed or power respectively, but I will try to find an answer not revolving around that. I will allow myself to use characters that can temporarily gain far higher power in limited ways via specific techniques because that's not directly usable (like if a character can destroy a timeline by causing a paradox I'm not gonna consider them timeline level if otherwise they are only building level)

Obviously as you might expect, the bigger a verse is, the harder it is to due them. The more varied their tiers are with different powers, and the less homogeneous and stylized, the more tricky it is to find general weaknesses though I will still do my best to show you how to be op in every verse (or at least the verses I can do)

1 comment:

  1. >Watches Tierzoo and Shadiversity
    Good taste.
    This is actually an interesting idea to apply to fictional verses. Really seems like it could be a fun discussion.

    ReplyDelete