Sunday, March 14, 2021

My Favorites Ships currently

Just felt like making a quick blog giving my favorite ships, specifically my top 5 in Het (MF), Slash (MM), and Femslash (FF) each. Before I do I'd like to say quickly what I look for in a ship.

As far as I can tell, there's two main schools of thought: "birds of a feather flock together" or "opposites attract", liking pairings where the two are relatively similar or where the two are relatively different. I'm more of the latter school of thought. There's something magical to me about seeing two people who live entirely different experiences appreciating each other's difference and completing each other. Maybe this is old fashioned but I always thought one of the signs of maturity is being able to be close with someone whose personality and temperment are very different then yours, be it a romantic bond or a friendship bond or any other kind of bond. 

That said I'm not the type to like the whole adversarial type relationship where the two act hostile or antagonistic towards each other. I like the sweet more then the spicy if you will. That's the general type of relationship I like where two opposites complement and complete each other. There's also a more specific dynamic I like where one partner is stoic, maybe a little broody, mature, serious, perhaps emotionally hurt on the inside, being with a usually slightly younger smaller partner whose goofy, bright, immature, but not as confident. The type of relationship where the cool partner protects the silly partner and gives them the confidence they don't have naturally and the silly partner brightens the cool partner's day and gives them the emotional support they need but don't confess.

So these are my favorite ships in each category, at the moment. These are liable to change.

Slash (MM):


5: Yukito x Touya (Cardcaptor Sakura)
This is probably the first slash pairing I really liked and it's still really cute. I'm a big fan of Clamp and their cute opposite pairings, how everyone seems so elegant yet distinct. 


4: Hikari Yugi x Yami Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
The only pairing where the most emotional moment is "he knew what card he was gonna play". Puzzleshipping so heartwarming with how protective Yami Yugi can be over his other self and how Hikari Yugi slowly develops to try and be confident and strong like his other self.


3: Seiya x Shiryu (Saint Seiya)
I already said I like Clamp and they started with making Seiya x Shiryu ships... This probably the closest to the two characters in a ship having similar personalities but Seiya is more hot blooded and Shiryu is more composed for his series and I like their brothers in arms type deal.

2: Tamaki x Kyoya (Ouran High School Host Club)
Fits my ideal ship relationship type to a T. Kyoya is my favorite host and I just wanted someone to brighten his sad heart and seeing Tamaki do it in ep 24 is my favorite part of the series. Team Mom x Team Dad.


1: Aziraphale x Crowley (Good Omens)
I'm allowed to have conventional tastes every now and again 😛 But yeah there's no end to people who will tell you how great this ship is. The elegance, the sweetness and coolness in tandem. The purest good boy angel and his snarky demon bad boy, it's so good. 

Het (MF):


5: Zatanna x John Constantine (DC Comics)
I love Zatanna as a character. I like Constantine but his stories can be rather sad and the brightest and not coincentially best for me was when he was dating Zatanna. The two are like the opposite of the magic spectrum in DC; Zatanna's is flashy, out there, stylized while John's is gritty and subtle, reflecting their two storytelling styles. The two opposites complement well.


4: Hungary x Austria (Axis Powers: Hetalia)
In terms of Hetalia I like the historical ships and this is perhaps the epitome. This is my favorite of the "stereotypically masculine girl x stereotypically feminine boy" trope because it's not so dramatic as it often is, the two being more then just an inversion of a stereotypical relationship. They're so cute how they bring out the best in each other.



3: Ichigo x Masaya (Tokyo Mew Mew)
This is one that nostalgia definitely plays a signifigant role for me but even beyond that, I love this dynamic. Ichigo is so relatable in how she acts torwards her crush, how she tries to act cool but it's her goofiness that endears her to him, and seeing Masaya go from secretly misanthropic to learning to love humans from Ichigo is such a sweet subtle arc going on over TMM.


2: Yuuko Ichihara x Clow Reed (Clamp)
It's amazing how great this ship is despite the two almost never appearing together. They're relationship is the catalyst for the main saga of the Clamp multiverse and it's the epitome of elegance with Yuuko being the sly manipulator and Clow Reed the learned sage. 


1: Usagi x Mamoru (Sailor Moon)
My favorite ship just in general, for reasons beyond what I can say. Usagi x Mamoru isn't just a ship for me, it's the epitome of how far a romantic relationship can affect you irl, their love being an inspiration for me. For more details here's my blog about them from a month ago. 

Femslash (FF):


5: Akko x Diana (Little Witch Academia)
This is my favorite part of LWA, seeing these two girls slowly develop in respect for each other and "friendship". Diana is such an elegant cool character and Akko is such a goof and sweetheart, and they play off each so well. It's not very controversial, I think most love this ship.


4: Harley Quinn x Poison Ivy (DC Comics)
Another pretty popular one, Harley and Ivy both are rejects of society and Harley in the comics was abused by the Joker, with the two girls helping each other to become better people and move past their trauma and isolation.


3: Honey x Natsuko (Re: Cutey Honey)
I know this one is already fairly popular, but I wish it was more popular (I just don't think as many people have seen Re). This is such a great dynamic the two have, it's cute and sweet and funny. Also most importantly I can endlessly mimic Honey saying "Na-channnnnnnnnnnnnn"


2: Fate x Nanoha (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)
An actual canonical lesbian relationship where they even adopt a child in an anime from the 00s and it's amazing. The sweet simple story of a young girl's compassion that allowed an abused child soldier to have a proper childhood and life, blossoming into a wonderful relationship.


1: Minako x Rei (Sailor Moon)
I said I like complementary opposites, and this is the perfect example. The modern, lazy, mischeivous, expressive, fun loving, consistenly zany, middle class, tomboyish androphile meets the traditional, hard-working, devoted, stoic, tsundere-like, spiritual, elite, ladylike man-hater. Hijinxs ensue. The two still love each other as their exam battle shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment