Friday, June 5, 2020

The problems with scaling Spider-Man

I hve been working on a death analysis for Spider-Man for quite a while now and there's something I wanted to comment on...

When franchises get bigger you expect them to get more inconsistent in terms of feats. That said I've seen a lot of people tryng to claim Marvel and DC are equally inconsistent because of their sheer size. vs battles wiki even has special rule for powerscaling those two series in particular. Let me say right now I've researched several dc characters and it's not even close. Marvel's scaling is signifigantly less consistent then DC's. DC comics is actually fairly consistent for it's size while Marvel is about as consistent as you would expect of it's size.

My gues is this is because DC has a pretty clear gap between the street tier characters and the herald level characters without that many characters in between. Marvel has a lot more and as such you get situations where it's like A Street Tier character fights evenly with B character who fights evenly with C Herald Level Character. Reason I say that is the DC characters who tend to have more inconsistencies are the ones that are proportionally less between the two tiers.

However I hate special pleading; the debating fallacy that this one particular example can not be held to the general rule. As such I would like to give how I scale; the rule that I use not just for Marvel but every verse. Obviously this is not including when there is an universe given reason for something to happen like x character is much weaker then normal.

When two characters compete in any stat; be it strength, speed or intelligence there are three possibilities:

1: The two are evenly matched
2: One is slightly superior (Character A is superior to Character B, but B's attacks harm A, B isn't one-shot by an attack from A)
3: One is far superior (A tanks B's attacks, A one-shots B etc.)

My rule is that if character B has a feat of either of the first two with Character A (matches them or is slightly worse then them) then Character B can be scaled to Character A unless there is a single instance of the third happening in which case they can't be scaled.

How this applies for Spider-Man for instance is that I scale Spider-Man to for instance most street level characters because every single showing between them shows Spider-Man to be either equal to them, slightly weaker, or slightly stronger (or rarely massively stronger). I don't scale him to people like the Hulk or Thor because even though he does have a fairly drastic number of showings where he can do signifigant damage to them and isn't one-shot by them, there are also showings where they tank his attacks and do one-shot him.

The thing I don't like that some people do is they scale based on personal feats. That is to say they would say "Spider-Man has no herald level showings on his own and thus could never scale to a Herald Level entity". I don't like this argument because it's something that couldn't be applied to any other medium.Imagine if someone tried to claim Dabura from Dragon Ball is street level because he has no personal feats that would suggest he should be anywhere near the ball park of Cell and Gohan. The only reason this is even considered an argument for comics generally is because comic characters often have a lot of personal feats as well.

So yeah, don't expect me to try scaling Spider-Man to any of the Herald Tiers in my Death Analysis for Spider-Man. That said I will probably make a seperate blog listing these outliers in case someone wants to use that information.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I don't blame you for that.
    I personally don't really believe in Herald Tier Base Spider-Man either,
    Whether he's holding back or not.
    I personally think it's more of High-Ends in My eyes.

    ReplyDelete