Tuesday, October 22, 2019

My Death Predictions in order of even-ness

My 18 Death Predictions so far, in order of how even I think they were in retrospect. I am judging based on how well I think I could make an argument for the other side winning. I should note that most of these I do view as even, it's just that in a list some need to go near the beginning. 

18: Hikaru vs Sayaka

Re-Evaluations as well as upgrades to PMMM have suggested the low tiers are much stronger the everyone, myself include, initially thought. At the time of the making of this fight, vs battles wiki had Sayaka as City Block level scaling off Homura, which I thought was incorrect since it was based on the feat of Walpurgisnacht hitting Homura with a building ignoring the surface area. That said in retrospect Sayaka is actually MHS City Level. Speed's not so much a problem given Hikaru's reaction time, but the main problem is the city level. Hikaru doesn't get that unless you do some wonky scaling based on Guru Clef's magic blast and or to other Clamp series. Hikaru also doesn't have any power-ignoring abilities (outside maybe dimensional bfr that would absolutely not be her go-to move) that would close the massive power gap unless you take certain interpretations of the "Will shaping reality" part of MKR.

17: Mami vs Panty

Mami and Panty have both been re-evaluated to be much stronger the initially thought, Panty possibly higher then Mami depending on interpretations though due to surface area again I disagree with some of the more extreme interpretations of her power. That said even in the scenarios where their power is viewed as comparable, Panty's luck aura hard counters the Puella Magi-verse's Magical Girls' form of regen dependent on a single weak point (their soul gem)

16: Ridley vs Vilgax

This one is hard to take about in terms of evenness because it depends on if you include their armies. While Ridley does have a more diverse and hax army then Vilgax, if you're just talking about a battle between the two individuals, Vilgax does take it fairly solidly and hard to argue.

15: Guardian Senshi Battle Royale

While I COULD make an argument for any of the other senshi, it does seem like a fairly clean victory for Minako. Minako is Takeuchi-hime's favorite guardian senshi and it's pretty clear in verse with her getting the most powers and best feats.

14: Onaga vs Takofanes

This fight seems fairly even at first, and indeed the stats aren't so different that it would be a statstomp. That said discussion of who would win goes about until realizing that Onaga can copy Takofanes ability to control the undead and simply control him to realize Onaga has probably got this. While Takofanes is more versatile, Onaga's sheer resistance to all of it as well his overwhelming power advantage makes it a fairly clear victory.

13: Black Lady vs Mistress 9

This fight seems even if you are only looking at them as a list of powers, with Mistress 9 raw power and Black Lady's greater haxes. That said their personalities is really why this goes to Mistress 9 fairly predictably if you know the two's characters well.

12: Jedah Dohma vs Lucemon

Easily the fight I got the most blowback on, and I really don't think it's deserved. I've seen people state that Lucemon is a lot stronger then I gave him credit for and in fairness there are abilities I didn't list as a fault. That said a lot of the "abilities" I've seen for him seem to me somehwhat misinterpreted and the point still stands that I can't see anyway for him to easily destroy a being that had Mid-Godly regen.

11: Synnar vs Protege
A bump up in trickiness, this one did require me to think about it for a bit, but in the end it just seemed clear that anything Synnar could do, Protege could copy and grow stronger from, and Synnar's own personality would hamstring him too much to get majority.

10: Chaos-Spawn Battle Royale
Rounding out the bottom of the list, this fight was really between Death Phantom and Queen Nehelenia, both of whom are much more versatile then Metaria and Pharaoh 90. I did debate this for a while internally, whether it was better in a match where all sides have overpowered one-shot offense to have the greatest raw offensive power with things like Curse and Star Seed Rip or better defensive power with illusory duplication, Evil Eye mind protection etc. I eventually decided that having MORE offense doesn't help much more then having enough offense to one-shot normally while Death Phantom's defense, along with his other advantages are enough to give him a clean majority.

9: Umi vs Weiss
Umi vs Weiss was an odd one for me because everyone was saying Weiss and her summons were city block because one sliced through a queen lancer that survived an explosion slightly above baseline city block yet Umi not only is arguably city block but is well above a casual 9.8 tons feats and the feat of Weiss was scaling to an explosion the queen lancer survived not at point blank and across it's entire surface. Anyway this fight Weiss did have a lot more versatility, but it seemed as I got into that Umi was a pretty good counter. I could make an argument for Weiss if I had too, but I felt like the argument for Umi is pretty convincing.

8: Grimnir vs Abigail
I initially thought Abigail would win this because he really does have a counter to anything Grimnir could do and Omega Abigail seems like such a strong counter to Grimnir. Yet the more I thought about the tactics of it the sheer speed at which Grimnir could create threats due to his intangible flying copies as well the fact that both the Bastard!! and Magicka spell systems have similar normal limitations which Grimnir transcended similar to the Bastard!! Angels which their magic was derived from....it seemed like it would just overwhelm him. Being able to counter any individual threat doesn't mean you can counter 3 at once.

7: Dracula vs Sauron
This one was weird to debate. Both are difficult to kill and tbh there was a part of me up to the end that thought Sauron "should" find a way by exploiting Dracula's weaknesses, due to just how intelligent he is and how clear Dracula's limitations. If this was a fight with prior knowledge it would be wholly different. But I kept coming back to "If Sauron has no prior knowledge he's at a notable disadvantage not being a warrior and vampires in Middle-Earth are not at all like Dracula canon vampires".  You could make a good argument for Sauron especially if starting conditions are different, like time of night they're fighting for instant.

6: Flowey vs Narrator
If the last one was weird, this was downright bizarre. I had to be really careful how I interpreted these two and their abilities given their metafictional nature. Even then it was really bound to their subjective personalities. If you have a different understanding of the personalities of these two characters I can easily see making an argument for Narrator to win.

5: Baldur vs Siegfried
When interpreting two verses with really big numbers, you don't expect them to get similar results as happened with GOW and SS. This was a fight that seemed to have a very limited range of options initially but the more you think about their powers, the greater the range of options seemed. Truth be told up until the very moment I thought of Baldur absorbing cosmo, the result was Baldur winning. When I thought that though I realized now just it's likeliness, and not just how symbolically perfect it was, but how perfect a win condition it was, for the one who felt nothing who sought to feel everything, to be overwhelming by the sheer sensation of feeling the flow of the cosmos itself...It was like the end of GOW 4 dialed up to 11 mixed with the climax of every SS arc where x character feels the power of the cosmo flowing through them...

4: Rorschach vs V
There's a minimalist sort of beauty to Rorschach and V's tactics. Both have few abilities but what they have over each other is almost perfectly representative of their personalities.  On some level trying to address the winner of this fight, felt more like trying to answer a philosophical question on what philosophy is more right between two. If it wasn't for finding out that V could knock someone out with a nerve strike I am really not sure who I would have ending up going for, and honestly if someone disagreed with me this one I would not at all mind, it was really tough.

3: Sailor Pluto vs Yuuko Ichihara
I was really nervous writing this fight and trying to find a winner because the two characters are both so intelligent and both are so adept at manipulating spacetime that I felt like I was not and could not possibly understand the full scope of their possibilities. You could make a really good argument for Sailor Pluto especially if you do think the Garnet Orb would interfere with her fortune-telling and the spell re-animating her. It's done similar in canon and I honestly didn't agree with it mostly on the basis "well come on Kaorinite's magic is not on the level of CLOW REED and the reanimation and fortune-telling isn't on that level" but you could argue that point. I went back and forth a number of times, and I eventually came down on the side of Yuuko winning basically only because of a single comedic one-shot ability of making inanimate objects come to life, which she could use the Garnet Orb itself. Still that's a sketchy preposition and you could really argue that Chronos Typhoon would just chew through Clow Reed's spell keeping Yuuko alive, especially in the circumstance where they are in a spacetime ruled by Leo and the Sun where Pluto is exalted and Yuuko's magic is weakest.

2: Magicka Wizards vs Castle Crashers
While I was writing this collab, and Thor can attest to this, there was a few times where I admitted I was unsure we were giving the right verdict. Thor was of course a complete gentleman about it and offered to discuss and debate it again to reassure though I would then say "no, it's right". And I do think this is right, but it's one that I can really see the other side of. We discussed this fight as the battle where both sides are somehow the underdogs, were both sides can easily one-shot the other side at any time. While I eventually sided with the Crashers just on account of a more direct strategy, you can REALLY easily make an argument the Wizards rez and ability to instantly one-shot all 4 of the Crashers in the right situation should give them the win.

1: Sailor Moon vs Cardcaptor Sakura
I debated this fight for years before writing this blog and to this day I can still find new elements to it, new arguments and counter-arguments, in part due to their massive arsenals. I can easily make a strong argument for either Usagi or Sakura to win. I can't even talk about why Sakura could possibly win here because the reasons are too myriad and numerous. I eventually had to say that Usagi would win in-character and Sakura would win bloodlusted, but truth be told there's no Death Prediction I have gone back and forth on more then this one. You could tell me you think Sakura would beat Usagi and I would not begrude at all because there's a lot of reasons to think so.

1 comment:

  1. It's pretty cool that you were able to find such a close and perfect match-up for your favorite character. I can only imagine how Death Battle would handle that verdict if they ever tried to tackle Usagi vs Sakura.

    ReplyDelete