Across the lands there are whispers of some wandering force of destruction. Is it a man, is it a monster, is it a god? It was all of these and more. The Ghost of Sparta, the spartan warrior Kratos, proves to be an unstoppable force of rage that causes the land to tremble and the Gods to run in fear. How did someone like this come to be? Allow me to spin the many tragic tales of the Godslayer Kratos, and his one final triumph.
Canonicity of God of War:
God of War contains 6 canonical games and one non-canonical game so far. The canonical games are in order of release:
God of War
God of War 2
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War 3
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
God of War: Ascension
However in order of where they are in the chronological timeline:
God of War: Ascension
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
God of War 2
God of War 3
There are canon novelizations of God of War 1 and 2, and a six-issue comic series set between Ghost of Sparta and God of War 2. There is also excitingly another game coming up simply titled God of War (2018) that takes place after God of War 3 and begins the second era of God of War, the "Norse Era". So this can be seen as a Death Analysis for Kratos from the first era of God of War, the "Greek Era".
Various Word of God statements confirm the comics and novels are primary or secondary canon (1, 2) and Sony has worked hard to keep all the parts of the series consistent to each other. Also the God of War: Ascension Multiplayer is canon, including references to each other such as the Twins from the game appearing in the Multiplayer to taunt the fighters, and the player character of the multiplayer, redeemed warrior, making a cameo in the single-player campaign.
Introduction to the world of God of War:
The God of War World is HUGE.
Purely on the archipelago of Greece, "far to the east" of Athens, even though Athens is near the Eastern side of Greece there is the Desert of Lost Souls. This desert is so large that it contains sand dunes larger then the 500 meters tall Titan Cronos (the largest sand dunes in the real world are smaller then 400 meters), who was sentenced to wander it for eternity. Consider how big a desert would need to be for a 500 meters tall Titan to never eventually crawl out, even for over a thousand years. It would need to be easily hundreds of miles across, whereas the Real Greece in entirety is less then 360 miles across. This desert, far to the east of the Eastern city of Athens while still in Greece would be comparable in size to the real Greece. How big are the countries? How big are the continents?
Let's get into the actual size of the disc. It takes a Pegasus less then 4 minutes while fighting to get from the island of Rhodes to where Typhon is trapped, Mt. Etna. The distance between these two points in the real world, which is a low-ball for this world, is 1182.87 Kilometers. Doing that in 4 minutes is ~Mach 14.4836. Yet it took 6 days of nonstop flying for this same pegasus without tiring to fly to the Isle of Creation at the edge of the world. That would be a distance of about 2,555,000 kilometers.
That is nearly 201,000 times 12,742 kilometers, the diameter of Earth.
It's over 17,869 larger then 142,984 kilometers, the diameter of Jupiter, the largest planet in the solar system that acts as a sort of proto-star due to it's mass!
THIS WOULD BE OVER 1.8 TIMES THE DIAMETER OF THE SUN!
And that's not even the diameter, that's from Rhodes to the edge of the world, which is more like the radius.
How deep is the disc? Well a 500 meter titan can be completely submerged without problem the shallowness of an in-land island. The bodies of water in the God of War verse are clearly at least a hundred times deeper then their real world equivalents. The real ocean's depth goes to 11 kilometers, if the God of War Ocean is 100 times deeper it would be about 1,100 kilometers deep bigger then Dwarf Planet Ceres (984.6 Kilometers) but smaller then Pluto (2,390 Kilometers).
Yet the map makes it look even bigger. While the edges of the disc are not seen, the depth looks to be at least 1% of the diameter of the disc would would put it it over 50,000 kilometers, greater then the diameter of Neptune and almost exactly the diameter of Uranus.
The Volume of this disc would then be 22 Quadrillion Cubic Kilometers (for 1,100 Kilometer Figure) or just over 1 Quintillion Cubic Kilometers (for over 50,000 Kilometer Figure). Using the density of the real Earth this would get respective masses of over 124.3 Octillion Kilograms (nearly 100 times the mass of Jupiter and nearly the mass of a red dwarf star at 300 Octillion Kilograms) or over 5.77 Nonillion Kilograms (nearly 3 times the mass of the Sun, or about 1/7th the mass of a Red Supergiant Star).
You may notice one other distinctive feature to that map, Mount Olympus. A supernaturally tall mountain, Mount Olympus towers over everything. It is said that it would take 3 days for a mortal to fall from the height of Mount Olympus and another 3 days to plummet to the depths of the Underworld. This has been confirmed again by a developer. To fall for 3 days would require Mount Olympus to have a height of 13,737.6 Kilometers, which is just slightly over (107.7%) the diameter of our Real Earth. Of course if you want, you can suggest it being even larger by compare it to the depths of the oceans and the depth of the disc, and the fact that it's visibly nearly as large as the disc itself.
This is actually pretty consistent with other things shown about Olympus, such as the fact the fact that the earth in it's entirety can be viewed from the peak of Olympus.
But this is just the Earth, what of the rest of the universe? Hades' underworld is said to be endless in multiple occasions (1,2). Zeus's skies are also said to be infinite. Zeus' skies also contain the actual stars and galaxies created by the Primordials in their battle as shown in the opening cutscene of God of War Ascension. This is not even counting the other dimensions that exist such as the Timeless Domain of Death, the Night Dimension on the other side of the Lantern of Delos, and the 9 Realms that are going to appear in the Norse Era of God of War.
In Conclusion, for the main dimension of God of War, there are two universes, the Skies with it's space, and the Underworld, separated by a gigantic planet with the mass of a small to mid sized star called The Earth.
Forms of Kratos:
Kratos has 4 main forms that he appears in for the God of War Games, with 2 additional forms at the tail ends of the series. I will go over each form individually. However I want to talk about what form he in for each game for a second.
The Earliest Form is Spartan Kratos, before he is strengthened by Ares and uses his Demigod powers. He is only this in flashbacks, like in the God of War Comics.
The Next Form is Demigod Kratos after being strengthened by Ares and releasing his Demigod powers via Rage. He is this for Ascension, Chains of Olympus and the Vast Majority of both God of War 1 and Ghost of Sparta (at the end of God of War 1 Kratos takes the throne of God of War but not the God Powers. Athena officially makes him a God, giving him his God Powers at the end of Ghost of Sparta). He is then this for a good part of God of War 2.
There is God of War Kratos, which is Kratos with his powers as the God of War. He is this at the end of Ghost of Sparta and the beginning of God of War 2 before having his powers drained into the Blade of Olympus at the betrayal of Zeus.
There is Pandora's Box Kratos which is Kratos with the powers of Pandora's Box. He uses this power in his fight with Ares in God of War 1, then it lays dormant in him until sometime during God of War, likely after hearing of the fate of Sparta by Zeus.
The Penultimate form is God of War + Pandora's Box Kratos. He attains this after re-awakening Pandora's Box's power inside him and regaining The Blade of Olympus gaining his god powers back at the end of God of War 2. He is like this at the end of God of War 2, and nearly all of God of War 3.
At the end of the series, Kratos attains a level of power from Pandora's Box beyond what had come before, seemingly mastering it's power. Because it called the Power of Hope I call this form Power of Hope Kratos. This is EoS Kratos, the form he attains at the climax of God of War 3.
I would like to challenge the assumption Kratos loses his weapons and magic between games as anything besides Game Mechanics. It's never mentioned or referenced anywhere in the text. His hammerspace ability IS mentioned so it is likely they are all there. He can even use Poseidon's Rage from God of War 1 at the start of God of War 2.
Kratos is actually depowered a few times in the series but always temporary. In Chains of Olympus he gives up all his weapons and powers to join his daughter in Elysium but then tragically must leave her to save her from Persephone's plot and regains his weapons and magic. In God of War 1, Ares strips Kratos of all his weapons and magic, but after Kratos becomes God of War he has regained these, as evidenced by the fact that he can use Poseidon's Rage. He pours all his power into the Blade of Olympus in God of War 2, but this would only be magic not weapons, and he regains the Blade. He is weakened in God of War 3 falling into the River Styx which ruined his main blades, but there is nothing to suggest this impacted any of his other weapons and magic.
And with all that said, let's get to Kratos himself.
Born to the God Zeus and the Mortal Woman Callisto in the city of Sparta, Kratos and his younger brother Deimos were raised as true spartans, to be the perfect soldiers. They desired together to become the greatest soldiers Sparta had ever seen. However, the God Zeus knew that like all Greek King of the Gods, that someday one of his own children would overthrow him, as he overthrew Cronos, and Cronos overthrew his own father Ouranos. So, when prophecy foretold that “the marked warrior” would overthrow him, Zeus sent his minions Ares and Athena down to Sparta to take Deimos away. Kratos attacked them to protect his brother but Ares batted Kratos away. Athena apologized to Kratos and Kratos watched as his brother was taken away. This was Kratos’ first experience of the tyranny of the Gods.
In memory of his brother, Kratos had himself tattoed to match his brother’s marking and dedicated himself to become Sparta’s greatest warrior, eventually become the greatest general it had ever seen. However, when he found himself in mortal danger, Kratos was forced to call on Ares to give him the strength to live. Ares gave Kratos newfound power with which Kratos gladly went on a rampage across Greece spreading the power of Sparta. But it all ended when Kratos came to a small village worshipping Ares’ rival Athena. Striking out blindly at the supposed enemies of Ares that inhabited it, Kratos didn’t stop to see and so in his blindness he killed even the two people most important to him, his wife and daughter. The village oracle bound the ashes of their corpses to his skin so that his skin was white, save for his marking of Deimos. Kratos yelled in rage greater than any before and set out on his quest to defeat Ares, which would grow to encompass all the tyrannical gods who plagued mankind, even using Hope the ultimate power of the universe to defeat Fear, the force controlling all the gods.
This was Kratos back when he was a Commander in the Spartan Army and the only form where he is any kind of "street level" fighter. He is never playable and is only in flashbacks.
- Kills Satyrs in combat
- Swims against the pull of a whirlpool
- Hacks at a giant sea snake, with fangs the size of Kratos
- Knocks Cereyon through trees
- Destroys the arms of Death, suggesting he can possibly hit intangible or even abstract things?
- Scales to a Few Spartan Soldiers who pull down a giant solid stone statue of Ares
- Should scale to Last Spartan who moved human-sized rubble off himself
- Young Kratos was trained to endure the harshest of climates
- Takes a Morningstar to the back without problem
- Battles the Firebird, whose fire burns down the nearby trees
- Gets Brutalized by Rocs, fights on
- Easily scales to Icarus, a fodder tier, who can easily fight off being smashed through a boulder and through a stone wall
- Should Scale to Last Spartan who tanked a lightning blast which vaporized nearby people and knocked him off the building, crushing him under rubble
- Kratos backflips over Cereyon's fireblast before charging him with enough speed to create an air burst around them
- Young Kratos was trained like all young Spartans, and becomes the greatest of Sparta’s warriors
- Kratos' strength and bravery were unmatched among the Spartans
- Description of Kratos' time as General of the Spartan Army
The Violent Demigod everyone knows and loves? After making a deal with Ares, Ares filled with Kratos with the fires of rage, which unleashed his natural Demigod powers as son of Zeus. It is in this form that Kratos sought merciless rage at Ares for what happened to his family, and at Zeus for destroying Sparta and her army.
- Knocks the Manticore through a gigantic metal snake
- Overpowers Minotaurs as standard practice and Minotaurs are strong enough to pulverize people
- Kratos, weakened from weeks of torture, flips a large monster and an entire city block with his strength
- Kratos overpowers a tentacle from Alecto's monster form which was capable of throwing a ship long distances
- Kratos, weak from torture was able to overpower Monster Form Alecto, who was capable of pulling down an island-sized structure and causing an earthquake across the island chain of Delos. She was also able to turn her throne room into a dimension with it's own sea and islands and maintain it so then when she died her dimension fell apart
- Kratos' physical strength was great enough to kill one of the other Furies as well, Tisiphone. She too can create a dimension large enough to contain an entire sea, and in fact created one dimension that seemed to have a moon in it
- The First really impressive feat ever had in the series, he overpowers the Main Hydra Head and with it presumably the main Hydra body. The Hydra has many many heads, capable of each attacking a ship in a fleet individually, which mean it's main body should be absolutely massive.
- Kratos overpowers a Cyclops. What's especially notable about this are Cyclops are multiple times referred to as having BUILT Mount Olympus (1,2). They built the planetary sized Olympus with their raw strength.
- Kratos overpowered the Basilisk, larger then a blue whale, pulling it down and bashing it with a tower as a weapon. The Basilisk is strong enough to EAT cyclopes.
- Despite his immense strength, Kratos never damages himself with his own strength
- Grabs the Burning Sword of the Persian King without Damage
- The Winds of the Desert of Lost Souls is said multiple times to be able to rip the flesh from the bones of a normal human (1,2) yet Kratos can tank being there.
- The Banshee's whip-like tail can split a normal man in two. Good thing Kratos is not just any man.
- Despite having just been tortured for weeks, Kratos tanks being knocked through 3 stone walls by the infected hand of Aegaeon
- Kratos doesn't bleed from the bite of the Daimon, Tisiphone's combat summon.
- Kratos is seemingly uninjured after being hit by a volcanic eruption that launched him across the Aegean Sea to Crete and sunk Atlantis which wasn't even connected to the volcano showing the strength of the eruption. Here is a description of the event mentioning how the eruption launched him across the Aegean Sea
- Kratos tanks the assault of Thanatos, Death itself. Thanatos is very powerful considering how the Gods as a whole feat him, and one of the less-combat oriented Gods like Demeter could affect nature on a planetary scale
- Kratos resists being turned to stone
- Kratos resists Persephone's brainwashing, here is a description of the event
- Kratos has the stamina to climb for 3 days
- Kratos moves so fast, falling platforms look stationary by comparison, which is easily a hypersonic feat
- Kratos easily keeps up with the Twins Castor and Pollux, even fending off a surprise teleport attack from behind. In Ascension Multiplayer the Warriors of Zeus have a dash move that is a stripped down version of Zeus's dash move, that is lightspeed. The Twins are superior to The Multiplayer Warriors, and a dev has confirmed that Castor and Pollux are faster then this lightspeed dash move. Also confirmed is that the Twins were using time slow and even full time stop on Kratos in the fight but he powered through it via pure speed. Yes, Kratos powered through complete Time Stop, via speed.
- Kratos can move as fast as Zeus' thunderbolt, which is much faster then real lightning. It traveled from the top of Olympus to Egypt "in an instant". Given Olympus height that is at least a relativistic feat.
- Kratos can, in short bursts, match Hermes' speed. How fast is Hermes? Hermes is The Flash of Greek Mythology! For once, this is statement is accurate. Hermes is so fast he has a pseudo-omnipresence, able to deliver every dream to mortals across the world and bring every dead soul down to the underworld. In our world, about 2 people die every second, but God of War world is MUCH larger. Look at how many souls are guided every second there. Hermes also scales to Atropos's projection which traveled at infinite speed. Her sister Clotho also spins "countless" threads at the same time. Even exhausted, Hermes is able to dodge the light of Helios. This light was able to illuminate the endless Underworld in finite time making it infinite in speed. This was confirmed to be a deliberate thing made by the designers to show Hermes' speed.
- The Blades of Chaos: Kratos' famous chained blades. They were forged in the deepest darkest pits of the Underworld. They are constantly ablaze and drain the life force of Kratos' enemies, and they can hit intangible enemies like Wraiths
- Amulet of Uroborus: An amulet which can control the flow of time, fast-forwarding it, rewinding it, or completely freezing it for a specific object or being. It can be used to decay or heal anything in Kratos's surroundings. Here is a description of it. Here is it in usage
- Oath Stone of Orkos: Creates a Shadow Clone of Kratos
- Eyes of Truth: Can end illusions
- Gauntlet of Zeus: A powerful Gauntlet capable of knocking chains upwards with enough force as to imprison Atlas.
- Sun Shield: A Shield capable of negating and reflecting attacks, capable of stopping Persephone's Death Explosion which was able to damage the world pillar. How durable was the World Pillar? Well if it collapsed as Persephone's plan was, everything that came before would end. An official timeline also mentions that this was a threat to creation, and it is mentioned again here. So The World Pillar was able to support the entire universe until it was damaged and Atlas had to do it.
- Blade of Artemis: A blade given by Artemis that slew a Titan. How strong are Titans? Well Poseidon clearly had to put in effort into defeating them in the Great War, and Poseidon is strong enough to shake the world by raising his fist. With a Stellar Mass like God of War Earth's has, this is easily a Large Planetary Feat. And this is a massive lowball. Ares also fought in the Titanomachy, and is unlikely to hold anything back. Ares was powerful enough to create a dimension with many stars and as one of the 6 greatest olympians likely scales to Helios, who banishes Nyx every morning, the primordial Nyx. For remind, THIS IS WHO THE PRIMORDIALS ARE. They who created the galaxies as a side-effect of their fighting. Also one of the Titans, Hyperion, created a spear that could bear the weight of the whole cosmos.
- Blades of Athena: Better versions of the Blades of Chaos. Capable of destroying a "nearly-indestructible" mineral.
- Fire of Ares: Creates a fiery burst from the blades that can stun enemies
- Ice of Poseidon: Freezes nearby enemies in ice. Also allows Kratos to breathe Underwater. Officially has the power of Typhon.
- Lightning of Zeus: Creates an electrical burst
- Soul of Hades: Summons the Arms of Hades.
- Efreet: Summons a Fiery Djinn Spirit to attack the enemies
- Light of Dawn: Shoots orbs of light at his enemies
- Charon's Wrath: Creates Green Mystical Flames that consumes lifeforce
- Poseidon's Rage: Kratos creates an electrical field all around him. This magic vaporized Cyclopses, intangible wraiths and more, creating a pit one hundred feet wide, and nearly as deep.
- Medusa's Gaze: Turns enemies to stone. At max level it works instantly and can affect things in 360 degrees from the user.
- Zeus' Fury: Kratos fires a lightning bolt
- Army of Hades: Kratos summon intangible spirits from the underworld to attack his opponents
- Eye of Atlantis: Kratos shoots a beam that electrocutes his enemies
- Scourge of Erinyes: Summons a dark void which sucks enemies in and damages them
- Horn of Boreas: Creates freezing winds
- Thera's Bane: Imbues the Blades of Athena with the Flame of the Titan Thera. Can destroy things otherwise invulnerable to Kratos
- Kratos gets stronger as he gets angrier
- Kratos' rage lets him break the rules of physics, essentially giving him local reality-warping
- Kratos' sheer rage gives him infinite Thera's Bane. Theoretically this could give him infinite of a magic spell or an artifact?
- Kratos' rage allows him to kill Erinyes, an abstract concept of pain and evil.
- Kratos's rage gives him a healing factor. Here he is damaged pretty heavily by Deimos, he is barely able to stand but we see him regenerate in real-time to full health. Here he regenerates a giant gaping hole in his chest
Kratos is at points of the series the God of War which bolsters his powers. He served as the God of War for nearly 13 years at least (Daedalus only began construction on the labyrinth at Zeus' orders because Kratos killed Ares). Kratos at this time had the following abilities:
- Pseudo-Omnipresence, existing wherever men went to war
- The Flame of Apollo Magic, which was able to destroy Gyges, one of the three giants. Gyges was able to survive the beginning of the universe and was going to overthrow Zeus. Zeus was strong enough to wrest supreme control of the universe from his father Cronos, who himself created time, and was strong enough to beat his father Uranus, who created the Universe. Uranus also brought order onto the entire realm of Chaos, Cronos is almost as strong as Atlas, who can bear the weight of the entire cosmos forever and Zeus is much stronger then his brothers who overpowered Cronos and Atlas.
- A Goddess of comparable strength to Kratos at this time, Athena moved at the speed of thought, which suggests Kratos might be mftl in this state
- Kratos kills David Jaffe, the creator of God of War
- Creating a Dimension that contains many stars, which makes sense as stated earlier given he should be comparable to Helios who banishes Nyx every morning and battled the titans as well. Him sending Kratos to that dimension was shown not to be an illusion in God of War 2
- Flight and Meteor Attack
- Telekinesis, even making people's heads explode and more fire manipulation
- Summoning all manner of creatures, including evil duplicates of his enemy
- Enhanced Senses, able to see for many miles, and know a person's future
- Can cause disease
Pandora's Box Kratos:
When Kratos released the powers of Pandora's Box it gave him great powers before lying dormant inside him. It's power was active in God of War 2, after he lost his God of War Powers.
- Merely Kratos' voice can shake a mountain
- Minutes after first opening Pandora's Box, Kratos had become so strong that he could overpower the previous God of War Ares.
- Kratos holds open the fingers of Atlas
- Pandora's Box gave Kratos the power to make his own Fate, to defy the manipulation of destiny of The Fates
- Kratos battles and defeats Lakhesis and Atropos at the same time. Recall that their sister Clotho spun countless threads of fate at the same time and Atropos' projection moved with infinite speed.
- Kratos can still move in an area affected by complete time stop
- Barbarian Hammer: Hammer that can summon souls and can cause earthquakes on accident
- Spear of Destiny: A Spear that can fire energy bolts
- Golden Fleece: Works like the Sun Shield but even stronger as it can even reflect Zeus' lightning
- Icarus Wings: Gives Kratos a limited form of flight
- Amulet of the Fates: Allows Kratos to slow down time when near a Fates stature
- Typhon's Bane: Shoots Gusts of Air at the enemies. Fully upgraded, can shoot whirlwinds at opponents
- Cronos' Rage: Creates a lightning blast that arcs from enemy to enemy
- Head of Euryale: Works like the Head of Medusa
- Atlas Quake: Creates an earthquake and shoots boulders at enemies
- After having just unlocked the power of Pandora's Box, Kratos is skilled enough that he can evenly duel Ares, the God of War who is everywhere through time humans go to war at once.
After regaining the Blade of Olympus and his stolen God Power at the end of God of War 2, Kratos is able to use both his power-ups at the same time, making him much stronger then either of them alone.
- Bests Hercules in strength. The same Hercules mentioned one of his labors to find an apple, this references his labor to get an apple from the Garden of Hesperides where he held the Sky up for Atlas.
- Kratos overpowers Hades, who himself overpowered Atlas, who holds the Earth and Universe. Atlas is also stronger then Hyperion, who forged and holds a spear which can bear the weight of the universe
- Kratos stops Poseidon with his strength even killing him with his bare hands, despite Poseidon being second in imminence only to Zeus, and his power doing significant damage to Atlas, who tanked Persephone's Death Explosion which damaged the world pillar
- Overpowers Cronos, the leader of the Titans. Cronos is nearly the strength of Atlas, created time, and defeated his father Uranus who created the universe
- Overpowered his father Zeus himself, stronger then Cronos.
- Blades of Exile: Better Versions of the Blades of Athena, the Blades of Exile come with a spell that can summon a phalanx of Spartan Soldiers Spirits to protect and strike for Kratos and a volley of arrows from Spartan Archer Spirits. Kratos uses the Blades of Exile to strike through Gaia's arm. Gaia is comparable to Zeus, Cronos, and Uranus in terms of power. Also she's a timeless being like all titans, which makes sense given Cronos created time.
- Claws of Hades: Hades' weapon, Clawed Hooks that can summon souls and tear into enemies. Comes with a magic spell that summons the souls of the underworld to help fight. Also can be used to steal the soul of your enemy, as Hades did to Atlas or Kratos did to Hades.
- Nemean Cestus: Gauntlets made from the impenetrable hide of the Nemean Lion, The Cestus are heavy impact weaponry that come with a magic that creates waves of magical energy. The Cestus is Kratos' strongest mortal weapon, able to destroy even Divine Onyx, which none of his other weapons could do.
- Nemesis Whip: An Electrical whip made with the Omphalos Stone, and comes with an aoe chaining lightning magic.
- Blade of Olympus: Made of Heaven and Earth, this is the strongest weapon Kratos has in this form, and his second strongest weapon overall. Able to shoot energy blasts and create energy shields. An accidental stab with the Blade of Olympus killed Athena, a Goddess comparable to Ares and Helios in power. A single stab from the Blade of Olympus killed Cronos. It was able to banish all the titans to Tartarus and can drain power and energy from an enemy. It can threaten to kill a being on a higher existence like Athena became.
- Bow of Apollo: A Rapid-Fire Bow that can light it's arrows on fire
- Head of Helios: Blinds Enemies. Even worked on Cronos
- Boots of Hermes: Gives Kratos the speed of Hermes
Power of Hope Kratos:
At the very end of God of War 3, after you defeat Zeus, Zeus's soul emerges from his body, turned pitch black from the Fear that infested Zeus. Fear Zeus is much stronger then Kratos. He drains all of Kratos' power and magic, killing him with a crunch of his two fingers. He doesn't drain all of Kratos' health like normally happens when Kratos dies, he DESTROYS KRATOS' HEALTH BAR ALTOGETHER.
However deep within Kratos was the power stronger then even Fear, the ultimate good to counteract it's ultimate evil. It was the true power of Pandora's Box, stronger then any mortal or divine weapon, even the Blade of Olympus. The Flame of Olympus which destroys anything that touches it pales in comparison to this power.
It is the Power of Hope.
Kratos WILLS HIMSELF BACK TO LIFE. With this power, Kratos overwhelms even Fear Zeus. Even if you just let Fear Zeus attack, it does nothing. The Power of Hope puts Kratos beyond even the Power of Fear.
After sacrificing the power of hope to protect all mankind, Kratos has been depowered back to demigod state, though he is still immortal because....here's the explanation.
The worst thing an enemy can do is assume Kratos is all dumb muscle. He served as the General of the Spartans for a long time, then served the Gods for 10 years, and then was the God of War for almost 13 years. Even outside his Divine Skill as God of War, he's quite the experienced and skilled soldier. His tactics are brutal but efficient and he's actually quite clever, often seeking ways to exploit enemy weaknesses or use the environment to his advantage.
For the most part, Kratos really only has one weakness. While his rage is the source of his amazing power in combat, it's also his biggest weaknesses as it blinds him and makes him lose sight of what he actually wants. 4 times now he has killed someone he didn't intend do for no other reason then they got in the way of something he was trying to kill and his rage blinded him to their presence.
Pictured: the one time Kratos ever smiles in the entire series, when he sees his daughter Calliope in Elysium, the Ancient Greek Heaven.
I find Kratos' personality to be, just like his power level, highly underrated to most. He is not just a juvenile male power fantasy hero. Kratos is a tragic hero in the classic greek sense of the word. He is born to fortune, meaning either wealth or talent, in this case talent. He is fortunate, which means he should have the tools to happiness but he is brought low by his one weaknesses, in his case his rage which blinds him. This story of Kratos in each game is the story of this tragic heroic arc as Kratos becomes a monster or a god depending on the game. And yet it is only by God of War 3, where Kratos finally realizes that his quest for vengeance costs him what he wanted to protect in the first place, and gives it up to become human again that he can let go of his past that has haunted him for so long and become happy. I really think I got it down well in this post if you want more detail.
At least Tier 15, Likely Tier 14
Wall, likely Building Level DC via Strength
Building Level Durability
Resilience to the Elements
Extremely Skilled Warrior
Possibly able to kill Intangible/Abstract Beings
At least Tier 12
Everything Spartan Kratos has
Country Level DC via Strength, at least Large Planet Level with Blade of Artemis
Country Level Durability, Universe Level Durability
FTL Speed, Infinite Reflex and Burst Speed
Resistance to Matter Manipulation and Mental Manipulation
Likely Resistance to Death Manipulation
Life-Draining/Life and Death Manipulation
Can Create a Shadow Clone
Fire, Electricity, and Wind Manipulation
Low Reality-Warping through Rage
Can kill Abstract Concepts
God of War Kratos
Everything Demigod Kratos has
Likely Galactic DC, Universal with Flame of Apollo
Can create shadow duplicates of his opponent
Fire Manipulation (Universal)
Can Create Meteors
Can Create Diseases
Limited ability to see the future
Can kill on a Metafictional Level (Killed David Jaffe)
Pandora’s Box Kratos:
Everything Demigod Kratos has
Likely Galactic DC
Likely Galactic Durability, Universal with Golden Fleece
God of War + Pandora’s Box Kratos:
Everything God of War Kratos and Pandora’s Box Kratos has
Universal Strength and Durability
MFTL speed, Infinite with Boots of Hermes
Can kill Timeless Entities
Power of Hope Kratos:
Everything God of War + Pandora's Box Kratos has
Can will himself back from Death
Can attack on the astral plane
But yeah internet, Spider-Man, Master Chief, and Guts can totally beat Kratos. You definitely know what you are talking about.
I don't normally like returning opponents but if Kratos was to come back, here is who I would suggest him fighting.
Kratos vs. Vegeta
I have compared Kratos and Vegeta's character arcs before, so it seems right that I suggest this fight.
Kratos vs. Shulk
The Sony God-Killer vs. The Nintendo God-Killer
Suggested by one of my friends, from what I can tell it's very thematic.