Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Matchups I wanna see (that I don't wanna research)

 

So as someone who makes matchups very often if I want to do one, I can just do it even if it's really dumb or no one but me will care about it. However to properly do a matchup you need to research a series, and for some series that's really hard. So there are 10 matchups I'd wanna see eventually from someone but I don't wanna do the work for, ranked roughly in order of how much I'd wanna see the matchup and how difficult it would be for me. I might do a few of the fights on this list eventually but if I do they would take a lot from me.


10: Majokko Club Battle Royale

During the 1980s, Studio Pierrot was the clear leader of the Magical Girl genre by far, and they created a group of their magical girl protagonists called the Majokko Club. I'd love to see a BR with them. I put it this low because I'm not really sure if it qualifies for this list or not. See while I'd be happy to do the research for this series, some of these series are actually really hard to find. I did the research for Creamy Mami, and Pastel Yumi can be found pretty easily but Magical Emi and Persia the Magic Fairy I can both only find in sections. Plus Creamy Mami fought Minky Momo in a crossover so you'd have to do Minky Momo research and that's a long convoluted history that probably wouldn't even give any upgrades.


9: Mickey Mouse vs Bugs Bunny

I think this one speaks for itself, both characters have a ridiculous amount of content but is like possibly the two most famous characters in the world that happen to be rivals with actually fairly comparable stats and haxes. I don't have a super big attachment to either character but I think pretty much anyone, even the most casual of casuals has at least a passing interest in this, it's just so much research. I do know some people have done this one before though I can't vouch for how well not being truly knowledgable on either character. 


8: Dante (Commedia) vs Adam (Paradise Lost)

I'm using this one as a general stand-in for a personal curiosity of mine which is fights with characters from classical theological sources like Mythology and so on. These are super interesting, the ways feats are presented and the types of powers characters have tend to be completely unlike modern matchups, something you can kinda feel already just by debating characters from several decades apart. It feels like it expands the debating capabilities to try and scale characters from times like this and this matchup in particular would be really good. That said, these works tend to be long and hard to actually comprehend.


7: Darth Vader vs Dark Samus

So I really like Vader and I really like Metroid and I think this would be a really awesome and surprisingly even fight. The two both have this long list of powers but are still roughly in the same range of power and reach the same range of hax. That said Star Wars is this absolutely massive franchise that I don't really wanna do all the research for, especially with Legends canon which is the actual fair one for this.


6: Ahsoka Tano vs Cure Moonlight

Second verse, same as the first. This seems like a really cool thematic even fight that would be awesome to see, in fact its probably more even since the two don't have as many powers as the above, but Star Wars is a massive franchise I don't wanna do all the research for. However this one also has Pretty Cure which, don't get me wrong I love, would be way harder to research than Metroid, it's way longer and the scaling is way more jank.


5: Avengers vs Justice League

On some level I think everyone wants to see Premier Marvel Superhero Team vs Premier DC Superhero Team but these are like the two largest franchises in history and these are the characters with the most content in them. It also might be one-sided. If you use the Founding Members, the JLA have more heavy-hitters than the Avengers, and if you use the full roster where both have even conservatively dozens of members, the JLA has these cosmic members like Pandora, Swamp Thing, and Phantom Stranger that afaik the Avengers don't have equivalents. That said it'd be really cool to see. I'm using this as a general "Marvel vs DC" thing. I might do matchups with longer running Marvel and DC characters but not this one. 


4: Nekron vs Hades

I love DC and Saint Seiya, they are among my favorite series of all. But they both require a metric ton of research. Nekron is a Lantern villain which is not a part of DC I know really well and Hades is a villain you need to research at least most of the Saint Seiya series to understand. On the other hand this fight would be absolutely amazing, it's two embodiments of death with insanely overpowered cosmic powers represented by the night with their own armies of undead dark warrior counterparts of once heroes. This is the limit of what I "might" do on this list


3: Skeletor vs Lord Zedd

So these two magic-wielding hax skeleton lords of evil have unusual stats but which happen to be exactly in the same range as each other would be an amazing fight. Both have their own mechs and armies of relatively even stats. Both have over the top personalities that would clash great and are used to fighting somewhat flamboyant heroes. This matchup would be great. The only problem? Skeletor is the main villain of a large franchise with mildly confusing continuity including a 130 episode series, a 93 episode series, and a 65 episode series. Conversely Lord Zedd is a villain that scales pretty far up in a 29-season series approaching 1,000 episodes not including all the supplementary material. I'd love to see it but I'm not going through all that.


2: Sadako vs Ai Enma

This match would be absolutely amazing, two Onryo of similar power and hax, that being insanely overpowered hax for their tier, the arguably most famous of Japanese horror villains vs the extremely dark Anti-Hero of Nakayoshi magazine, thematic to an extreme, intellectually stimulating, emotionally visceral, with its own atmosphere that pervades even just thinking of the match. However Ring is a big franchise with a lot to research plus connects to Grudge and Bunshinsaba, their own significant film franchises. While none of the Hell Girl series are that long, she's got like 10 different series, plus a few films. So both are signifigant research, however definitely more doable then some of the earlier entries. But the kicker is that both are scary and I am pretty easy to scare. I don't think I could research something scary that well, especially as long as this.



1: Superman (Composite) vs Cthulhu (Composite)

This fight is the apex of "I want to see this but I don't want to research this." This is a fight that has massive thematic applications, and not only that but like really strong historical routes with Superman and Cthulhu both being these opposed archetypal symbols that represented very important movements and trains of thought that are important to this day. They are charaters that are almost universally recognized and draw massive appeal. Despite this their composites are two of the strongest fictional characters to exist, and imo can be compared pretty fairly.

On the other hand I'm not even sure this fight is technically possible for one person to research alone and if it was it would definitely take many years. Superman has arguably the second most amount of content of any character only after Batman, decades upon decades of non-stop comics and relevant scaling to every other character in the single most content-large multimedia franchise to have been created save companies that subsume it. Conversely Cthulhu has himself an insane amount of content, but its far more diffused to the point that I'm not even sure its possible to track down every reference to Cthulhu let alone scale him to all the seemingly endless series he must scale too. This fight is maybe impossible to do.

2 comments:

  1. This was a fun idea. I can definitely say theres a great deal of fights that Id really wanna see one day that Just have a very intimidating amount of research. Some of them are also fights that I dont even totally know if are fair, and fear that i may do a massive amount of research on it only to find out that i cant do it, so its cool to explore those Ideas!

    I gotta say you have a lotta respect here for apparently being willing maybe try and do all but the top 3 on this list. That really shows just how little you are truely unable to accomplish in this hobby! I Personally would be really interested to see any of these fights myself, particularly Sadako VS Ai Enma, Skeletor VS Zedd, Nekron VS Hades, Bugs VS Mickey, the Pierrot BR and the Star Wars fights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting blog. I can definitely see why all of these would be intimidating to cover, particularly when it comes to large multimedia franchises. Nonetheless, I think all of these would be really fun matchups and I wouldn't mind seeing them either. I think off hand my favorite of these would be Bugs Bunny vs Mickey, and Sadako vs Ai Enma. You also brought up a couple of unique yet really cool sounding and thematic Star Wars matchups that I haven't heard of before. As far as Superman vs Cthulhu goes, you'd probably have to limit it to the most popular incarnations of Cthulhu to be even worthwhile doing.

    ReplyDelete