Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Expanded 10-Point Rating System

Revised 10-Point Schedule:

So, I generally rate things out of 5, and I will still continue to use that system, but I wanted to create an expanded 10 point system so I can give greater specificity people want.

I want to say quickly people don’t seem to understand that average is middle. Most things rate a 5 or 
6. Those are average. Average is not 8, and 10 is not just really good. That’s not using the scale to full efficiency.

Let me start by re-iterating my 5 point scale.

1/5: Terrible. I wish I didn’t see this. This actively puts me in an unpleasant mood. I would never recommend this. If someone I know really likes this then I will try and never bring it up because I would have trouble finding good things to say and I don’t want to hurt their feelings.

2/5: Poor. Usually this happens when I find a series just boring or dull. If I find something blandly not offensive, am not unhappy that I saw it but wouldn’t want to see any more, then it would be here. I would only recommend this if I think it’s REALLY up someone else’s aisle. Can also happen when there is a series that is often pretty decent but has some really bad parts.

3/5: Average. Most often this is a series that is enjoyable enough to watch once, and that I might consider myself a casual fan of, but that won’t make that much of an impression on me. The alternative is when a series has some really good parts but is seriously mixed with parts that are just hard to get through to get to the good stuff. I would recommend this to someone who enjoys the subgenre this is part of.

4/5: Good. These series I generally consider myself a fan of and am in the fandom of. They are enjoyable to watch once and I will think about a significant amount afterwards. I might watch them again later after some time has passed or I am watching with someone else. If a series is fine for the most part but has at least a few things it does REALLY well it can get here. I would recommend this to someone who enjoys the genre this is part of.

5/5: Amazing. Absolutely wonderful, I want to watch again and again, I think about them a lot afterwards and they change my view on what is good and enjoyable. This actively puts me in a good mood. I would recommend to anyone.

So, let me give an expanded 10 point scale in case it’s helpful.

1/10: Atrocious. Almost no series ever gets this, and the worst series almost never have a single instance of this. This is the level where I feel physically angry, that makes me actively upset. Can only really happen when there is nothing even remotely to be redeemed about it.

2/10: Irritating. Generally, things here are just annoying. Like it doesn’t make me angry, but it’s just irritating or sometimes just gross. Generally, there is nothing good about a 2/10, but unlike a 1/10, it’s not harmful or otherwise distasteful it’s just unpleasant thoroughly. Again, this is pretty rare, you have to almost be trying to be bad to have such little good about it.

3/10: Boring. Most series here are super forgettable or dull. I generally don’t think about these at all afterwards because they are just so…generic or otherwise dull. It’s not irritating to me like a 2/10 but it’s not something I particularly want to watch even to get closure.

4/10: Eh. Things here tend to be very much not to my taste but unlike a 3/10 will have some parts I actually do like. They are not things I think about a lot after, but they are not so dull or cliché to watch because there is at least parts I find interesting, usually the parts where they actually try and have a genuine heartfelt message.

5/10: Poorer side of Average. Series is decent enough to hold my attention but it’s not particularly good at anything, just basically competent at enough to be a decent series. Different from a 4/10, these series are not boring enough to make me want to turn it off at any point, but it is hard to make myself continue the series.

6/10: Better side of Average. Series is enjoyable and was engaging enough that I did want to watch each episode after I finish one. It’s different from a 5/10 because either it does someone thing particularly well to distinguish itself or it’s at least more unique and unlike other things, even if it wasn’t that much more engaging. 6/10 is the dividing line between don’t want to pay for it versus would pay a diminished amount for it (like a rental or a sale).

7/10: Pleasant. Series is enjoyable for most of the time, has some strengths, but also has significant problems and weaknesses that would need to be talked about. Series is perfectly watchable but not something I’d want to marathon. Series is something I would pay for full price. 7/10 is different from 6/10 because it goes from generally mixed, to good with some significant bad parts.

8/10: Very Good. Series has parts it excels at, and is something that I want to keep watching one episode after another. I would consider myself a serious fan of an 8/10 and would use it as example of good writing at parts.  An 8/10 is different then a 7/10 because a 7/10 is thoroughly enjoyable but an 8/10 is that and also has something that it specifically excels at and has a strength compared to all of fiction as a whole.

9/10: Great. One of the Greats. A series that is a modern classic. There has been a total of 5 franchises that average at 9/10. Most series are lucky to have a single episode, or chapter, or level that is a 9/10. A 9/10 is good enough that I want to model my own writing on it at part. It’s different then an 8/10 because while an 8/10 excels at a few things, a 9/10 excels at many things. I think about 9/10s often and they change my opinion of what makes a work good.

10/10: Life-Changing. I think about this all the time. A 10/10 isn’t something that changes what I think about what makes a work good, it changes my whole view on life. 9/10 series’ best moments are generally 10/10, and so far, there has been exactly 1 series that has ever been a 10/10. To me a 10/10 isn’t just good, it’s something that I have big emotional breakdowns towards, that I want to not just write like, but think like, be like. These are even more rare then 1/10.


So yeah, I can assess anything on this 10 point scale if you want. I can assess series, or instances, or moments or experiences, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment