Saturday, October 6, 2018

Some confessions of mine

I've done a lot of dumb stuff, so here is my generic blog telling about my various goofs and dumb things I do. If you were the person who suffered because of one of these.......I'm sorry. This includes confessions from vs debating, my artistic choices, and .... really anything else.

1: I get overly emotional as a response
Ideally versus debating would be a nice calm hobby, where people can rationally go through each other's arguments until the proper conclusion is reached. Obviously this does not always happen. When I feel attacked, even though it probably wasn't meant as such sometimes, I can have a rather extreme response that is unwarranted, given the subject matter. I am trying to be less immediately defensive but it's certainly not my instinct.

Related to this I get overly emotional at series I really love, like 9/10 and 10/10 series and will go off on how they're soooooo great and meaningful and say so much about the human condition and blah blah blah. Interestingly I don't have that strong an emotional negative response to things I don't like. You're never gonna see me rant about how a bad series is somehow damaging to people or offensive or whatever. It would be more like "that series is really gross, I don't wanna watch it".

2: I completely mis-used the concept of "infinity"
I got into a lot of arguments over "infinite" cosmologies when I was younger. I was wrong. Now to be a little fair to myself, my opponents were misunderstanding my claims. I completely understood that countable infinity doesn't get any bigger if you add or multiply it. I was mistakenly thinking that verses can areas of space that were uncountable infinitely large not realizing like a goof that space by definition as a set of coordinate points can't be uncountable infinitely large.

3: I don't read comments enough
Here's what will happen to me a lot. Someone will comment on one of my blogs, and I won't notice that comment until weeks later. And then I will feel too embarrassed about the huge time gap to address it. ... I know that isn't rational but I am very swayed by feelings of embarrassment. If you posted a comment and I never responded....sorry about that.

4: I don't keep good track of my sources
Let me go over what I do when researching a series. First I look up respect threads and ask people I know that are very knowledgeable. Then I go through the series once. Then I look on versus boards for how strong the common conception of the character is and how people interpret some of the ambiguities. Then I go through the verse a second time.

Going through a verse that many times might SOUND admirable, but what happens is I completely lose where I found something...which is bad. I like when people cite me as their source but often simply don't recall where I found my citations.

The biggest example of this easily was my Kratos blog. I got a lot of help on that one from one imgur I was given access too. To the person who made that (he goes by "BenTennyson" on the OBD I believe) I give my sincerest thanks and an even greater apology for not citing you originally.

5: I don't grammar check things well enough
A lot of them are pretty silly mistakes, and most people probably don't care but I know I make probably above average amount of grammar mistakes. Sorry.

6: Trying to calc in-calcable things
Not as much a thing I do anymore, but I used to try and calc things that there was simply no way of getting proper values for. A LONG time ago I tried to calc the Gravitional Binding Energy of the Galaxy Cauldron and it was a really stupid calc.

7: I HATE having unpopular opinions
Most of my online friends probably know this already but...I really dislike having wildly unpopular opinions. I know it's dumb and not how people would actually think, but my sort of knee-jerk reflex that over-triggers against public embarrassment makes me feel very poor when I irrationally fear that people judge me for my tastes.

8: I don't have many strong opinions on series in general
If I had to guess, I probably give 9 out of 10 series a 5/10 or 6/10 score. Of the remaining 10% I probably give another 9/10 a 4/10 or a 7/10 score. I give 1% of series a score of 3 or lower or a score of 8 or higher.

Truth be told I'm pretty neutral on most series. I don't tend to have many strong opinions on series. There are a lot of things that are really popular by a lot of people but have small vocal hatedoms. These series especially I usually am pretty neutral on. I'll like some things, dislike other things, and overall find it fine.

I see MAYBE 1 thing a year that I would qualify as a 9/10 or 10/10 and maybe one thing a year that I would qualify as a 1/10 or a 2/10.

If you ask me to give my feelings on some controversial series you'll probably just get a neutral response. Sorry it's not very exciting.

9: I don't really mind exposition
Not sure if this is partially a cultural thing, but I think it might have an element of that. I totally get that showing something is better then telling something. That said if a series just tells me something I usually am pretty fine with it and accept it without need for anything else. I don't mind exposition the way a lot of people seem too.

10: I like some things that are rather childish
As a fan of Magical Girl series, a series that is primarily aimed at children for Magical Girl Anime and teenage girls for Magical Girl Manga, this probably won't come as a surprise. My tastes can be rather childish I suppose you could say. For instance I don't usually mind villains that are just evil and vile creature. Things like that don't bother me. I understand it's not realistic but it doesn't affect my entertainment.

11: Early versus debating me was a mess
I think we all have horror stories about our early days of versus debating. You can look up what is my first versus debating thread ever, that being a respect thread for the anime version of sailor moon and it's just bad. I used to list just every feat I saw and I didn't give any context or explanation to suggest how powerful it was, I basically just said what happened. "This character's energy blast overpowered THIS character's energy blast" like that alone explains anything. It took me until the last season, the last episodes of the last season before I ever realized I didn't have to include street level feats for characters that by that time had done lots of cosmic stuff.

12: I tend to assume I know what the author means
If you've ever played the Beginner's Guide you'll know what I mean though I think my interpretations were a bit more...charitable.

When there's a series I like I will read symbolism and secret meanings into EVERYTHING. I catch myself thinking the author clearly meant for little detail to be a clue to the psychological state of another character several arcs later and it makes me realize that I've gone so convoluted that I'm just looking for depth. I like depth in media, and greatly dislike shallowness. Shallowness is one of my primary complaints when talking about media. The thing is, some verses I probably have internally made more deep then they are? I should try and more stick to what's actually said then what I know is REALLY being said ;)

13: I get rather obsessive about my favorite series
The amount I talk about a series is usually proportional to how much I like it, big shock. However if you recall point 8, I don't actually really love very many series so the series I talk about tend to get rather repetitive. I could try and talk other things but when I do my enthusiasm fades.

14: I tend to just believe characters when they say something
I'm not really that skeptical when it comes to fictional character claims. Unless somebody tells me that nobody believes x character when they say something, my immediate response doesn't even trigger the thought that they might be lying or misinformed unless the text says that outright. Obviously this has limits. If a villain goes off on a tangent about how they are perfect and the world should bow to them, I don't immediately agree with them obviously.  That said more often then not a character saying something makes me think that's true unless I think about it more.

15: I am very uncomfortable with the concept of outliers and VERY comfortable with accepting a character is way stronger then they seem.
Outliers in versus debating has always been a concept that makes me rather uncomfortable because their very nature means it's impossible to prove or disprove an outlier. Claim that something is an outlier is a claim that something is too outside the bounds of what a character normally does to accept. I dislike it because it's bound by personal intuition of how far outside a feat can be before it is too much so. I am very willing to accept a character being MUCH stronger then they appear or people think they are purely because they have a feat on that level.

I put this as a confession because it seems a heavily unpopular thought among versus circles. Even I agree on the existence of outliers though they make me very uncomfortable and practically every versus debater in existence agrees that outliers exist.





So yeah those are some confessions of mine. This doesn't include confessions about series I like that other people don't like and series I don't like that other people do like because that could be a blog or blogs by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment