Wednesday, October 17, 2018

An honest defense of VS Battles Wiki


This blog might go great or it might go horribly.

VS Battles Wiki is one of, if not the major center of information about versus debating on the internet and can be rather controversial.

I think they get too much backlash and honestly am sorry for contributing to it as I have completely done, my sincere apologies.

Do I agree with VS Battles on everything? No I don't. Examples
1: I completely disagree with how they use infinities for the upper tiers of fiction, I think it's downright a-mathematical
2: I think they're probably the major reason the misconception that Madoka warped away the concept of witches in the multiverse when that is completely contradicted by the plot is so rampant
3: I have smaller disagreements here and there, I don't think scaling all of DC's street level characters to MHS off a very low end MHS arm speed feat from a rather quick DC Street Level character Katana makes sense, I think SM caps at universal not multiversal, I think Wedding Peach-verse is rated lower (I have a lot of the characters are FTL Low Planetary)

But you know what? I've had a similar level of disagreement with friends of mine without any issue. If someone agrees with you on EVERYTHING then it's likely they're just listening and believing what you say without any consideration. That I disagree with VS Battles on some things doesn't mean that I should view their word as meaningless, let alone worthy of ridicule.

VS Battles provides a huge source of information and then a potential interpretation of that information. I go there and look at what the feats are and their interpretation of it and come to my own conclusion. That seems the only course for a rational debater, to listen to the perspective of others and why they think so and then form one's own conclusion based on the information.

That's how VS Battles should be looked at imo. It's a source of information and then one's group interpretation of that information. Granted they aren't respect threads, and if you disagree wholesale on one of the feats they present it's possible you won't know what the next highest feat is to scale too, that said the information is often useful in it's own right.

And to be totally honest, I find the amount of times I disagree with them blatantly is not as large as common opinion suggests I should.

To tell the truth, I find my empathy moved by the position of VS Battles wiki and it's higher ups. It must be a stressful position to have to try and standarize fiction with all it's irregularities, be expected as a group to know about any potential fiction that could be brought up, deal with internal conflicts and interests, and be criticized, fairly or unfairly, from the outside.

Obviously this doesn't mean you have to agree with their interpretation of anything. I would just suggest remembering that even if you don't agree with them, the information they have collected can be of use to you.

1 comment:

  1. I agree for the most part, but some of the people on there can be pretty rude or condescending, and sometimes they don't even debunk or post legit reasons for why a character can or can't do something, not to mention as you said they scale very oddly sometimes.

    ReplyDelete